Saturday, October 2, 2010

Internet Safety: An Increasing Issue in the World Today

This last week in class we were discussing internet safety and why it is important. As I watched a few videos, I found it amazing and creepy how easy it is to find out a lot of information about a specific person. In one of the internet safety videos it mentioned how a lot of teenagers keep their passwords and other private information on their cell phones. I never even thought about doing that because it is not safe. If your phone gets stolen all of your information is out in the open. Over this last week I have come to understand how important it is for us to be informed about internet safety.

Last night I talked to my husband about internet safety and some things we wanted to institute in our future family. We discussed the importance of having the computer in a public setting like the kitchen/family room area because it is not as tempting and easy to access things that are not appropriate. We also discussed the importance of having multiple passwords, so if someone accesses one of your accounts they are not able to access all of them. I think one of the biggest things that we can do for our future family is to inform them of the dangers and that they need to be careful with the information that they post on the internet. For example, when my husband was serving a mission, he found out the name of his new companion a few weeks before the companion would actually arrive. Well, my husband wrote home to a friend of his and gave the friend the name of his new companion. The friend sent my husband a letter a short time later with a pretty accurate description of his new companion whom he had never met and neither had his friend. How did the friend find the information, you may ask? It was simply found on Facebook and a family blog. Thus, we need to be careful about what we write about ourselves and others because we never know who might gain access to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment